Guidline no 1/98
Valid from 1998-01-01
Changed from 2006-06-01
This policy, together with its guidelines, has been based on:
- the Swedish working environment act (1977:11609);
- the local KTH agreement between mangement and staff about the working environment;
- the folder "Collaboration for development", which was published by the Swedish Agency for Government Employers;
- KTH:s lokala avtal om personalsamverkan, dnr 930-2005-1464, doss 16; Ändring till "Utvecklingssamtal"
- Universitetsstyrelsens beslut 2004-10-28 "Beslut ang ny organisation av KTH", dnr 930-2004-2896, doss 13
Every KTH staff member has the right to meet his or her nearest superior for a development dialogue at least once a year.
Such development dialogues are to consist of a systematical and well-structured dialogue between staff member and superior for the purpose of jointly arriving at an individual activity and development plan. This is to ensure that staff member has the opportunity to have influence on, and effect changes on, his/her own work situation. The goal of this is to create a pleasurable working environment that will offer every staff member a feeling of participation and solidarity.
By means of individual development dialogues KTH wishes to establish common agreement on what its activity goals are, both general ones and those which apply to a specific place of work. KTH also wishes to give its staff members a chance to discuss their own efforts with their superiors, thereby arriving at a better understanding of individual effort as part of the greater KTH whole. This arrangement will also facilitate the process of staff members and superiors together improving the work effort as well as its results.
Superiors are to arrange development dialogues well in advance, and enough time should be available for this, so that summaries may be made and various subjects concluded. The place where this is done should be an undisturbed one.
The development dialogue may be performed by means of the enclosed patterns. Different patterns should be used for each of our three categories of staff members; technical and administrative staff, teachers and researchers and doctoral students. Both superiors and their staff members must have the opportunity to prepare themselves before the meeting, i e to go through the issues to be raised, in advance.
The development dialogue is then performed as a true two-way conversation with both parties being active. Each issue must be concluded before the next one is dealt with.
The development dialogue is then concluded by:
- the superior and his/her staff member making adjustments to the current job description, whenever necessary, and
- the superior and his/her staff member making a summary of suggested changes or new ideas on the Summary of Planning Dialogue form (Sammanfattning av utvecklingssamtal), which is then signed by both of them.
A follow-up of the development dialogue is to take place by means of:
- the superior being responsible for his/her part of the agreement, and for sending proposals to the right KTH authority;
- the superior being responsible for the follow-up of agreements made, and for suggesting a follow-up dialogue with the staff member, whenever necessary;
- the staff member being responsible for complying with his/her part of the agreement. Should problems arise, these must be discussed with his/her superior;
- Every new development dialogue is to start by the parties goig through the summary of the preceding dialogue.
Forms for development dialogues are available in word-format under Forms and templates:
- Teknisk och administrativ personal
- Lärare och forskare/doktorander