Establishment of a subject at third-cycle
Internal regulation no. 3/00
Valid from 14/06/2000
Amended from 01/07/2007, 03/12/12
This internal regulation is based on:
- The Higher Education Ordinance (SFS [Svensk författningssamling - Swedish Code of Statutes] 1993:100;2010:1064)
- President’s decision Reg. no. 930-920-95 Dossier 60
- President’s decision Reg. no. 930-1174-96 Dossier 60
- President’s decision no. 431/00, reg. no. 930-738-00 dossier 60
- President’s decision no. 361/2005, “KTH rules of procedure” reg. no. 930-2005-0480, dossier 10
- President’s decision no. UF-0449-07, reg. no. V-2007-0625, dossier 60
In accordance with Chapter 6, paragraph 26 of the Higher Education Ordinance, for each subject in which third-cycle studies are arranged, there must be a general study plan. The general study plan is approved by the Faculty Council.
The President has resolved that
the following regulations for establishment of subjects at third-cycle level should apply at KTH.
Proposals for subjects at third-cycle level, including a study plan for the subject, must be drawn up within the School by the director of doctoral studies.
At KTH, the aim is that subjects at third-cycle level must cover as broad an area as possible. When broad subject areas are established, specializations may be stated if there are generally-accepted designations for certain sub-areas within the subject area.
The dean of the relevant School must issue an opinion of the proposal before it is submitted to the Faculty Council for a decision on introduction. Decisions on changes, amalgamation, etc. of subjects at third-cycle level are made by the Faculty Council, as appropriate.
Registration of specialisation in LADOK (the National Student Records Database)
For each doctoral student who is considering taking an examination in a subject with a certain specialization, the specialization must be stated in the procedure notes for third-cycle studies in Ladok (SA20). The specialization is entered by the School. Only the specializations stated in the study plan for the subject may be used.