The right for students to request an extra examination
Internal instruction no. 5/03
Applies from 01/02/2003
Revised from 08/04/2005
This internal instruction is based on:
- The decision of the Education Committee on 10/12/2002, Section 11
- President’s decision no. 1082/2004 "Deans and Vice-Deans for KTH’s nine schools and commissions to these regarding organisation of schools", reg.no. 930-2004-2896, dossier 13
In certain cases there may be reason to arrange a special examination date for students in addition to the dates in the examination timetable. In this context it is important that students’ requests are handled in the same way within the university. For this reason the Education Committee has established guidelines for when students may be granted an extra examination.
The Education Committee has decided that
Students have the right on one occasion to request an extra examination if
- The examination in question is the student’s last examination and if passed will complete requirements for a degree, i.e. that all other elements such as degree project, laboratory work, other project work etc must have been completed.
- The graduation is delayed by more than three (3) months.
Students do not have the right to request an extra examination if
- The examination in question is the student’s first examination attempt on the course.
- Before the time of the request and without an acceptable reason, the student did not take an examination on the ordinary date.
When requesting an extra examination a student must
- Submit an application for an extra examination to the registrar's office at the school responsible for the programme
- The application must contain a current list of study merits to prove that the examination is the last one.
Decisions and processing
- Decisions regarding the right to extra examinations are made by the Director of Undergraduate and Masters’ Studies in consultation with the school in question.
- The school in question shall ensure that an extra examination is arranged within one month of the decision.
- The school in question has the right to arrange a number of requested examinations on the same date.
- Financial compensation to the school in question will be within the framework of the ordinary compensation system (whole year’s performance).