Checklist and Tools for Web Accessibility
Here are the tools and the most common areas to consider when publishing accessible content online. Step by step and gathered in one place.
Tools to use
The tool can be activated on the pages you want to review, to detect incorrect heading levels, unclear links and missing alt texts. Chrome plug-in, which you install and enable on the pages you want to review.
To the plugin Tota11y
Web disability simulator
If you want to get an understanding of what it is like to have different disabilities, this is a good tool. For review, the color blind feature is very handy, where you can simulate color blindness and review the contrast of your images. Chrome plug-in, which you install and enable on the pages you want to review. To plug-in Web Disability Simulator
Screen reader / Text-to-talk tool
The easiest way to test reading the content on a page is through the mobile. Under Settings and Accessibility, you can turn on or off VoiceOver. For desktop, there are plenty of screen readers, but can be difficult to navigate for the unaccustomed. The Chrome Vox plug-in is one example.
Adobe Acrobat Pro
Adobe Acrobat Pro provides testing tools to check and correct the accessibility of PDF documents. License is available for all KTH personnel.
Get the program Adobe Acrobat Pro (Acrobat DC Pro)
Check list for printing: Checklist for accessible websites (docx 23 kB)
With tota11y, check:
- Standardised heading sizes (so that they follow the order H1, H2, H3).
- Clear links . (The link should be comprehensible on its own and describe where it leads. Use the heading of the page to which the link leads.)
- Images in the right way with alt-text and caption. (Always describe the image in the alt-text, except for images that are purely decorative. Photographer and people in the image should be given in the caption.)
- That the text is structured with lists and short sections.
- Clear and comprehensible language
- Introduction (use key words and describe the page content.)
- Videos and audio files that everyone can perceive (videos shall have closed captions or a transcription attached).
- Documents (transform it into a web page, delete or PDF accessibility check in Adobe Acrobat Pro (Swedish) )
With Web Disability Simulator, check:
- Colour contrast (make sure that the contrast in images is enough for a colour blind)
With Adobe Acrobat Pro, check:
- That PDFs are accessible. PDF accessibility check in Adobe Acrobat Pro (Swedish)
Structure the work
If you are a document owner or content owner and want to review published pages and documents, it is important to be systematic. Use Template: List and act on web pages and documents (xlsx 14 kB) , go through all web pages / documents and:
- List the URL
- Note the necessary actions
- Make adjustments and mark when it is done
- Gather the actions that remain for the summer and possibly allocate external resources to convert PDFs to web pages and customize pages and documents.
- Mark the parts you prioritize lower and will not be able to fix until September 23, 2020. (On September 23, 2020, KTH must have an accessibility report ("Tillgänglighetsredogörelse) and there you can specify which legal requirements for different content of the website that are not met, together with a plan for how and when to fix them.)