International and interdisciplinary sabbatical periods for teachers
KTH promotes teachers' international and interdisciplinary mobility and value excellence in research, education or collaboration through centrally funded sabbatical periods. Sabbatical periods offer an exclusive opportunity for personal qualification and strengthen renewal in the business. Particular emphasis is placed on gender equality nomination of applicants.
Next application period is open 1-31 May 2021
Teachers who are interested in the activity reports his or her interest to the Head of school. Head of school nominates who should submit their applications. Prerequisites for the implementation of the sabbatical period is planned in consultation with the Head of department.
- The teacher reports the interest to the Head of school.
- The Head of school nominates the candidates and account for the the school's contribution to the Sabbatical period.
- A commitee consisting of the Vice President of Research and five teacher representatives submits the allocation proposals to the President of KTH.
- The President of KTH decides on the allocations of the Sabbatical periods.
The application should consist of:
- A short motivation for traveling with described planned activities, including a project plan that clarifies the development of the individual and KTH's research activities.
- Invitation letter from the receiving institution.
- a). Indication of any employment between the teacher and the receiving institution. b). Indication of any salary / remuneration from the receiving institution.
- The application is submitted to the Head of school, or to whom Head of school has appointed, during the application period. The school should complement the application with following information: An account of how the head of department together with the applicant have planned for what the centrally funded funds should cover, such as travel, subsistence and substitutes for commitments in undergraduate education.
- An account of the connection to the school's mission, and in this regard, in particular, gender equality aspects and clarification of the prerequisites for the school's co-financing.
The complete application should be sent to HR/GVS email@example.com no later then 10 weekdays after the end of the application period.
Selection and decision
The committee deals with all applications and submits proposals to the president on which applications should be granted.
- Excellence in research, education or collaboration with the surrounding community.
- An account of how the sabbatical period can generate renewal and deepening of the group's activities and KTH's research activities.
- Gender equality aspects.
- Statement of the school's contribution to the Sabbatical period.
Reporting after the sabbatical period
After the stay, the teacher leaves a written summary of the stay to the President, including a financial report on of how the funds have been used.
The purpose of these central contributions to sabbatical periods for teachers is to:
- create an exclusivity that is meritorious to the individual,
- give teachers opportunity to advance in their personal development,
- acclaim excellence in research,
- increase visibility to KTH's personal exchange,
- encourage renewal within the organisation.
A granted sabbatical period is replaced centrally with up to:
• 1000 000 SEK if the length is 12 months,
• 600 000 SEK if the length is 6 months,
• 300 000 SEK if the length is 3 months.
Terms for sabbatical periods
There is the possibility of shorter or longer sabbatical periods up to 12 months. The central funding covers, for example, travel expenses, housing and salary. The costs of temporarily releasing the teacher from regular duties can be partly covered by central funds, but co-financing from the school is also important.
Insurance when stationed abroad (URA)
Other forms av of international activities in higher education and reserach
STINT , The Swedish foundation for International Cooporation in Resarch and Higher Education, has the mission to internationalise Swedish hogher edcation and reserach. STINT offer a number of grants and sholarship programmes, where KTH can seek fund for various forms of international activities in higher education and reserach.
Kontakt: Petra Rosenquist, HR/GVS firstname.lastname@example.org .