Doctoral student in Media Technology - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Media Technology
The project you will work in is funded by the Marianne and Marcus Wallenberg foundation in the context of the ”Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program - Humanities and Society” (WASP-HS). The title of the project is ”AI and the Artistic Imaginary: Socio-cultural consequences and challenges of creative-Ai technology”. Creative-Ai is the application of artificial intelligence technology to domains of artistic practice. This has major implications for artistic practice and society in general, which will be studied in this project. Your task will be to investigate the ways artists encounter creative-Ai through, for instance, multi-site ethnography, practice-based research, or design fiction workshops. Based on these insights you will support the development of ethical guidelines for creative-Ai developers and users. In the larger context of the project, you will contribute to the important discussion of fair intellectual property (IP) rights in the age of creative-AI.
Your work will take place at the Division of Media Technology and Interaction design (MID), in the Sound and Music Computing (SMC) team. The project that funds your position involves an advisory board with experts in sustainability research, ethics, law, anthropology, and science and technology studies (STS) who will be available for your support. The WASP-HS graduate school involves about 30 Ph.D. students from Swedish universities who investigate the challenges and consequences of autonomous systems and AI in society, providing a diverse and inspiring environment for your research.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- Work with the SMC team with connections to other institutions, both regionally and internationally, for instance through the NAVET and Nordic SMC networks.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at an advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at an advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal-oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyze and work with complex issues.
- Experience in qualitative methods such as ethnography, practice-based research, and/or design fiction is essential, ideally in the context of research on technology.
- Knowledge in philosophy (in particular ethics) and ideally on the current discussion on copyright is desirable.
- Artistic background of whatever kind is desirable but not essential.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||In agreement with supervisor, preferably before October 2021|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||12.Apr.2021 11:59 PM CET|