Development dialogue – cooperation between manager and employee
According to KTH´s cooperative agreement all employees at KTH has the right to development dialogues with their immediate manager at least once a year. The development dialogue gives the employee together with the manager a possibility to discuss their work effort and gain understanding for its part in a greater context.
The development dialogue is a well prepared structured discussion for both employee and manager to in accordance come up with an individual action and development plan for the employee. The plan works as a support to achieve the organization´s goals, both KTH general and work place specific visions. The employee and manager can in cooperation develop and improve work efforts and processes. All employees therefor have a chance to influence both their own and their unit’s progress.
Manger and employee should use the questionnaire here as a common preparatory document before the development dialogue.
The development dialogue shall be documented in writing. Here you may find a template for the dialogue documentation.
As a manager, you should also prepare for the employee interview. Below is a guide that can be used.
Why do we need to have development dialogues?
The purpose of the dialogue is to create a clear definition about:
- Organizational goals
- The employees work tasks
- The competence needs for the employee and the organization
- The expectation from both employee and manager
Benefits for the manager:
- Gaining knowledge about the employees performance and situation
- Information for development and planning
- A complete picture of the work groups´competence and capacity
- Comments on how the managers leadership skills is percieved
Benefits for the employee:
- Can leave comments on their own work
- Make wishes regarding their own development
- Discuss cooperation and relationship with the manager
- Get comments from the manager regarding their work
- In accordance with the manager set personal goals for their continued work
Benefts for all:
- Unite the organization´s goals with the employee´s
- Check the employee´s competence
- Check that previous set goals has been achieved
- Create an individual action- and development plan
- Discuss health and health promoting activities