Skip to main content

Apply for funding to employ a doctoral student together with an international partner university

Published Mar 21, 2022

As a researcher at KTH, you now have the opportunity to apply for partial funding of SEK 500,000 per year during a four-year period to employ a doctoral student together with one of KTH's international partner universities.

KTH is implementing a pilot initiative for six joint doctoral students to strengthen relations with certain partner universities. The school at which the doctoral student is employed must provide the same funding as the amount set aside by the central funds. A plan for the co-financing must be available. Mobility is a requirement, but there is no requirement for a degree at both universities.

The doctoral student must spend at least one year in total at one of our partner universities. The supervisor at the partner university must be stated in the application.

Collaborations with a partner university that also appoint a doctoral student to the project will be prioritized.

Universities involved in the pilot project are:

  • Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), China
  • Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
  • University of Tokyo (U Tokyo), Japan
  • Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore

For your application to be granted, the following is required:

  • Relevance to KTH's strategies for research and international cooperation
  • Potential for increased future research collaboration
  • Excellence in collaboration
  • That you are employed at KTH and have the right to be the main supervisor for doctoral students (professor or docent)

Contact persons for the partner universities

Click to see contact persons at KTH for each partner university.

Interview with Vice President Stefan Östlund

Vice President Stefan Östlund.

Vice President Stefan Östlund

Stefan Östlund, Vice President for Global Relations at KTH, answers questions about the pilot initiative.

What does this investment mean?

— This means that we build strong ties between researchers from KTH and the partner universities. Jointly supervising doctoral students increases collaboration and will lead to increased co-publication.

Who can apply?

— Any KTH researcher with the right to be the main supervisor for doctoral students.

What can the individual researcher or department get out of this?

— Increased international collaboration and opportunities to create new research projects with the partner university.

How does it all work in a purely practical way?

— You must first make initial contact with a suitable colleague at one of the partner universities. Many researchers already have these contacts as we previously had "seed-funding" programmes in several cases. If you agree, you write a project description and report how and in what way the collaboration benefits KTH. The application itself is made through our application form .

Did you find this page useful?
Thank you for helping us!
Page responsible:Linda Andersson
Belongs to: About KTH
Last changed: Mar 21, 2022