Assistant professor in Road Traffic Engineering
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan,
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Road Traffic Engineering
The field of road traffic engineering comprises design, operation, control, and use of various types of road transport systems, and methods for efficient interaction between human beings, vehicles, and physical and electronic infrastructure. Scientifically, the field includes theory, methods and models for analysis, evaluation, control, and operation of single and multimodal transport systems, and methods for collecting, processing, and analyzing data from these transport systems, enabling an improved understanding of supply as well as demand.
The assistant professor is expected to contribute to the teaching with existing courses and education programs as well as ongoing research projects focusing on road traffic engineering. This includes examining and teaching in road traffic engineering related courses in the first and second cycle, research, and supervision of bachelor, master, and doctoral students. The assistant professor is also expected to participate in other activities related to research, teaching, and cooperation. The assistant professor is expected to apply for external funding and conduct research in close cooperation with other partners within and outside KTH.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop his or her independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow him or her to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH's appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- Scientific skill within road traffic engineering, shown by publication in refereed and well-reputed international journals,
- Potential to independent development as researcher and teacher within current road traffic engineering field and ability to establishment, renewal, and development within current research field,
- Demonstrates ability to cooperate with private and public actors to develop education and research activities meeting societal needs.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- Ability to receive external research funding and disseminate knowledge and research results to the society as a whole,
- Pedagogic and education skill within road traffic engineering,
- Experience in supervision of PhD students, thesis students, and younger colleagues,
- Ability to cooperate with research groups from different disciplines within the academy as well as the surrounding society,
- Excellent knowledge in English language, written and spoken,
- Knowledge of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality within the faculty,
- Administrative skill.
It is also important that the applicant has
- Postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended his or her doctoral thesis or experience from researcher development work within the industry or other organizations comparable with a traditional post-doc stay at another university,
- Experience of inter-disciplinary work.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international journals and conference proceedings, and the applicant's ability to obtain financing to a non-negligible extent for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant's ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed skills in teaching and supervising.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
For more information regarding KTH's assessment, see Appointments procedure for teachers at the Royal Institute of Technology
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As soon as possible|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||27.Sep.2019 11:59 PM CET|