Assistant Professor in Transport Systems Analysis - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Transport Systems Analysis
The subject Transport Systems Analysis comprises the development and application of methods for analysis, evaluation, and planning of transport systems, with special emphasis on policy measures such as investments and other instruments. Important sub-areas are the development and application of transport modelling; development of new data collection methods and econometric methods; travelers’ and citizens’ behavior and attitudes; and cost-benefit analyses. The subject’s approach encompasses all travel modes and is intrinsically multidisciplinary, encompassing for example economics, planning, transport science, and computer science.
The incumbent is expected to contribute to education in existing courses and programs as well as ongoing research projects in the area. This includes examining and teaching in courses in both Swedish and English, at undergraduate and master levels; and conducting research and supervising undergraduate, master, and doctoral students. An Assistant Professor is also expected to participate in other activities related to research, teaching, and societal impact. Moreover, the Assistant Professor is expected to seek external financing and to carry out research in close collaboration with partners both within and outside of KTH.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop his or her independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow him or her to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessment
The assessment criteria for appointment as an Assistant Professor at KTH are stated in KTH's appointments procedure section 1.3, and they apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- scientific excellence in the subject area, demonstrated through scientific publications, conference participation, participation in research collaborations and other engagements in the scientific community such as peer-review and expert assignments; and
- potential to attain the merits required for a higher faculty employment, including potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher in the subject area as well as the ability to establish, renew, and develop the subject area.
Of second highest importance that the applicant has
- potential to seek and obtain research financing;
- ability to disseminate knowledge and research findings to society at large;
- interest in and insights regarding pedagogical development in the applicable subject area;
- experience with thesis advising in first and second cycle education;
- ability to collaborate with research groups from a variety of disciplines in the academy as well as private and public societal actors to develop educational and research activities that meet society’s needs;
- excellent command of written and spoken English;
- interest in and insights regarding leadership in the academy and cooperation with society at large, as well as a consciousness on issues of diversity and equal treatment, with a special focus on gender equity; and
- administrative skills.
It is also of importance that the applicant has
- postdoctoral experience in another research environment than the research environment where the applicant obtained a doctoral degree, or experience from research and development in industry or other organization that is equivalent to a traditional postdoctoral posting at another university; and
- experience with interdisciplinary work.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to Associate Professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international journals and conference proceedings, and the applicant's ability to obtain financing to a non-negligible extent for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to apply and obtain external funding for a significant portion of research activities. Of highest importance is the applicant's ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed skills in teaching and supervising. It is also of importance that the incumbent has the ability to teach in Swedish.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
For more information regarding KTH's assessment, see Appointments procedure for teachers at the Royal Institute of Technology
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As soon as possible|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||26.Sep.2019 11:59 PM CET|