Doctoral student in applied and computational mathematics - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Engineering Sciences
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Applied and computational mathematics, specialization Numerical analysis.
The project targets the development of the next generation of finite element methods for solving partial differential equations in deformable domains. We are interested in simulation of multiphase flows where the deformable domains are interfaces separating immiscible fluids. We have developed finite element methods, that we refer to as cut finite element methods (CutFEM), where the deformable domains are allowed to cut through the computational mesh in an arbitrary fashion. Hence re-meshing processes which are needed in standard finite element methods are avoided. The current project will focus on the development, analysis, and implementation of cut finite element methods that preserve physical quantities, such as mass, and inherit important identities from the continuous problem.
The project is funded by a grant from the Swedish research council VR. The doctoral student will be active within the numerical analysis division in the Department of mathematics and supervised by Sara Zahedi.
We are looking for candidates with a strong background in mathematics, applied mathematics or numerical analysis that have an interest in using mathematics and programming to solve real-world problems. Good programming skills are important. You should have completed a Master of Science degree or equivalent or expect to complete your degree no later than September 1, 2019.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- Friendly and innovative working environment in a strong research group.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
The applicants degree at advanced level should be in mathematics, or applied and computational mathematics in a broad sense. In addition English proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking is required.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The selection is made among the applicants who meet the eligibility requirements. Particular emphasis is placed on the study results in advanced courses or in results in form of independent work such as the degree project or master’s thesis. A degree project or master’s thesis that is relevant for the position is seen as a merit.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge. Include two references that we can contact.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||22.Aug.2019 11:59 PM CET|