Doctoral student in experimental nuclear physics - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Engineering Sciences
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Research and teaching conducted at the Department of Physics span from basic science topics in condensed matter physics, nuclear, particle and astroparticle physics to applied areas such as medical imaging, nuclear engineering and nuclear power safety.
Third-cycle subject: Physics - specialization: Atomic, Subatomic, and Astrophysics.
The long-term aim of experimental nuclear physics is to further develop our understanding of the forces and interactions within the atomic nucleus. The research groups at KTH and Uppsala University (UU) have long experiences in studies of the structure of nuclei at the limits of their stability. Of particular interest in the announced PhD project are investigations of excited states of very neutron-deficient nuclei in the region around the doubly magic nucleus Sn-100. The rapid experimental development of the research field in recent years is related to advances in accelerator technology and new detector systems such as the gamma-ray tracking spectrometer AGATA. The next generation radioactive beam facility, FAIR, will further expand our possibilities to probe the structure of exotic nuclei.
The research activity for the PhD student will focus on analysis of data from multi-detector experiments performed at accelerator facilities, e.g. gamma-ray spectroscopy with AGATA in combination with detection of charged particles and neutrons. This work will involve computer programming (e.g. in C++) combined with sophisticated data analysis programs such as ROOT. The results from the analysis of the experimental data will be interpreted by using state-of-the-art nuclear models.
The announced PhD project is a collaboration, jointly financed, between KTH and UU. The PhD student will be based both at the Department of Physics at KTH and at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at UU. The student will take part in experiments involving one or both universities at international accelerator facilities. The studies will lead to a PhD degree, separately awarded to the doctoral candidate by KTH and UU.
The research group at KTH consists of four faculty members (professors, associate professors), one postdoc researcher and four PhD students. The research group at UU consist of one faculty member (professor) and one PhD student.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements,great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||01.Sep.2019 11:59 PM CET|