Doctoral student in Transport Science - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Dept. of Urban Planning and Environment
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Transport Science
The Department of Urban Planning and Environment at KTH is looking for an excellent candidate for a doctoral student position in the area of Transport Science or Urban Planning. We are working on acquisition of new data sources, using AI and Machine Learning with new opportunity for urban planning and urban and regional studies, by bringing Urban Technology, Science and Design together, see KTH-MIT Senseable Stockholm Lab www.senseablestockholm.org
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
Our department offers an interdisciplinary, dynamic and creative research environment. We use computational intensive methods to study and simulate the city and the region for a sustainable urban development. We collaborate nationally and internationally with several actors, for instance the City of Stockholm in KTH-MIT Senseable Stockholm Lab, and Center for Transport Studies etc.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at 2nd cycle education (advanced level), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following assessment criteria will be used:
Of highest importance:
- experience and proficiency with statistical data analysis and machine learning
- programming skills
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- having a professional approach
- analyse and work with complex issues
- communication skills and English proficiency, and
- problem-solving skills, creativity and motivation for pursuing doctoral studies
Of second highest importance:
- experience of massive parallel computing
- experience with visualization software, and
- background and academic credentials in Physics or Engineering Sciences
After the eligibility requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||03.Sep.2019 11:59 PM CET|