International students and study abroad
The content on this page is an excerpt from the action plan for the President's decision V-2020-0801 on conditions for education for the remainder of the autumn semester 2020 and spring semester 2021.
Discussions regarding the requirements from the Swedish Migration Agency regarding physical presence/teaching on campus for a valid residence permit are on-going with both the responsible ministries and the Swedish Migration Agency. KTH acts as an individual university, but the SUHF's* expert group for internationalisation is also very actively involved in pursuing these and related issues.
*SUHF is The Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions
In light of the current global situation with the coronavirus and the current situation in Stockholm, KTH has decided that exchange studies and other forms of study abroad, such as placement and degree projects abroad, will be cancelled during the spring semester 2021.
KTH has made the decision with consideration to student safety. The situation is currently extremely uncertain, fluid and unpredictable both within and outside Europe. It is unfortunate, but necessary, to have to deny KTH students the opportunity that exchange studies involve.
KTH's students are not permitted to travel abroad within the framework of their education during the spring semester 2021.
Students who have had their studies abroad (exchange studies, degree projects, placement) cancelled should be offered places in KTH courses to complete their programmes. This applies in particular to students who planned to complete their degree projects abroad and therefore supervisor resources must be provided for these students. If there is an opportunity for remote exchange studies or remote supervision of degree projects, this may be carried out provided that it is approved by the Programme Director at KTH.
No calls for Minor Field Studies (MFS) have been announced for the spring semester of 2021.
KTH will not accept incoming students for exchange studies, degree projects or placements in spring semester 2021.
- For doctoral students at KTH, the same rules apply as for employees.
- Incoming doctoral students, so-called visiting PhD for a shorter period, are affected by the decision.
Not affected by the decision
- Exchange: outgoing and incoming students who are on exchange during the 2020/2021 academic year are not affected, they can complete their exchange if they choose to do so.
- Degree project/placement: outgoing students who are already abroad and incoming students who are already at KTH are not affected, they can complete their projects abroad.
- Degree programme students in joint programmes with built-in compulsory mobility (e.g., EIT, N5T, Erasmus Mundus, etc.) can complete the compulsory mobility.
- Students who have the opportunity to complete their degree project in their country of citizenship, if other than Sweden, or at their home university (applies to double degree students) can do so provided that the degree project meets KTH's requirements.
If you are a student who wants to and has the opportunity to go on exchange studies during the academic year 2021/2022, you will need to make a new application for exchange studies in the application round that opened on 25 November and closes on 15 December 2020. No exchanges will be moved to the autumn semester of 2021, but a distribution of seats will be made according to the current selection rules.
If you have any questions, please contact your international coordinator.