External Applications in Canvas
In Canvas it is possible to add external applications LTI-apps (Learning Tool Integration). By using external applications it is possible to add new functionality to Canvas either at the course level or for the whole of KTH. After an application is activated, as a teacher you can use it directly in your course room. Below you can find a list of existing applications that you can use. You can also apply for activation for an app that is not on the list, by filling out a form.
Activated for specific course or school
Many of the applications are targeted towards a specific need and in many cases there are a only few courses within the same subject area that have the same needs so therefore interest in the same applications. In such a case, the supplier contracts, personal data support agreements and support needs to be managed locally. After a review process the application is activated per course room in Canvas by the e-learning team.
When there is a broader need for an external application (many courses at several schools) the application may be activated for the whole of KTH. In such cases the first step is often a pilot test with one or a few courses before a decision is made if the application should be made available for all KTH courses in Canvas.
Activated external applications
Below is a list with external applications that are ready for you to activate in your course room in Canvas if you are a teacher or course responsible. Please contact email@example.com for questions about these applications.
- Canvas Commons (community.canvaslms.com) - Repository for finding and sharing course content in Canvas.
- Canvas Quizzes.NEXT (community.canvaslms.com) - A quiz feature with more quizzes and options than in "Canvas Quizzes". You find this Quizz feauture under the left menu item "Assignments".
- Kaltura (KTH-Play) - Publishing media files in Canvas with focus on video.
- Möbius (maplesoft.com) - A system to create advanced questions/quizzes for automatic grading adaptive course progression, and random question generator.
- Redirect (eduappcenter.com) - Creating links in the Canvas course menu.
- URKUND - Text matching tool for support in detecting plagiarism.
External applications under evaluation
The following external application are under evaluation and only available for the courses that are presently part of the evaluation process:
- Matlab Grader (mathworks.com) - Script questions/quizzes with support for automatic correction of Student-written Matlab Script.
- Peergrade - Peer review tool for using with assignments that complements the Canvas native peer review tool.
- Online meetings in course rooms complementing the stand alone version of Zoom.
If you are interested in more information about the applications or would like to be part of the evaluation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Apply for activation of new external applications
The applications submitted for new LTI-integrations are reviewed in the submitted order and contains checkpoints for data-integrity, usefulness and legal issues. Since coordination with external suppliers may take some time, please note that it usually takes a term before agreements and routines can be in place. If there is no opportunity to proceed in the application process in any step, we can have a dialogue about different options.
Fill out the form to apply
To get started with the application, please fill out the form linked below. In order for an application to be activated in Canvas, it needs to be approved from both a security and pedagogical perspective. Contracts with the supplier and agreements regarding personal information may be necessary depending on the application.