Implementation of Canvas at KTH
KTH has through the School of ECE procured a new Learning Management System (LMS) called Canvas, which will replace the platform called Bilda and parts of course web. This page is an executive summary introduction to the implementation project detailing scope, time plan and stakeholders at KTH. The information will be updated and extended along with the proceedings of the Implementation Project.
KTH has procured a new LMS in order to provide a more consistent and coherent learning environment for both students and teachers. The tender was awarded to Canvas by Instructure Global Ltd being the system scoring the highest both on functionality and the faculty and student usability tests.
Central activities for the project during the implementation process will be:
- Migration of current course material in Bilda, Course Web and other relevant central systems within KTH. The project will support teachers by manually migrate from Bilda/Social to Canvas with educated resources should the teacher want assistance.
- Building up the Canvas competence at KTH, a support organization both centrally and on each school, enabling training for all teaching staff through a “train the trainer” method.
- Finalisation of system configurations and integrations.
The implementation has been successful during the study year 2016-17 and around 500 course offerings has been performed successfully.
Required Organisational Structure
The implementation project is run in collaboration between the School of ECE and the IT-department and will involve staff on all schools throughout KTH. However, the project is highly decentralised and each school is required to assign LMS staff.
The LMS staff will have the following roles:
- LMS-responsible: As the LMS-coordinator between school and project this person will be invited to workshops and help both with finalising the time table for the school and appointing the LMS-trainers of the school.
- LMS-trainers: Teachers and/or administrators who will train the faculty with support from the project. The school appoints one or several persons.