Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Insurance for staff

As an employee, you are covered by various insurance policies. Some examples are occupational injury insurance on the way to and from work and during working hours, group life insurance and insurance while on business travel. Here you can learn more about the different kinds of insurance.

Group Life Insurance

In the event of death, surviving relatives may be entitled to compensation under the Agreement on Government Service Group Life Insurance, TGL-S.

Occupational injury insurance

Occupational injuries are those that occur in the workplace or on the way to or from work. Here you will find information about the insurance coverage that applies if you suffer an occupational injury. Compensation is paid out by AFA Försäkring.

Employees who will not be registered as resident and employees waiting to be registered as resident

Health care in Sweden

Before an employee has been registered as a resident and received a personal identity number:

Citizens of the EU/EEA and Switzerland must bring an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) in order to obtain subsidised health care (only paying patient fees (patientavgift)).

If an individual does not have a valid EHIC, or comes from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland, emergency health care is automatically covered under the Insurance for foreign visitors' policy, which covers you and your family.

This means that during this time you will receive emergency health care in Sweden free of charge. Please note that Insurance for foreign visitors does not cover planned care, immunizations or maternity care. You may wish to supplement your insurance cover with other private insurance policies.

If you have a valid Schengen visa (90 days), Insurance for foreign visitors also applies when travelling within the Schengen area. Once an employee is registered as resident in Sweden, Insurance for foreign visitors ceases to apply.

Business travel insurance

KTH has signed a collective business travel insurance policy for its employees with the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet). The basic cover provided by this insurance applies to all domestic and international business travel on behalf of KTH.