Policy for sustainable development for KTH
KTH shall be a leading technical university in sustainable development and actively and responsibly contribute to sustainable development through education, research, collaboration, and by reducing environmental impacts from KTH:s operations and promoting social responsibility
KTH shall therefore
- Integrate ecological, economic and social sustainability at all levels of strategic and operational activities.
- Have an identity and brand that is strongly associated with sustainable development.
- Be characterized by openness, democracy and respect for equality and equal living conditions.
- Provide education of the highest quality that prepares future professionals with knowledge, commitment, critical thinking and practical tools that will enable them to contribute to a sustainable society
- Encourage, educate and create conditions for employees, students, professionals and those who work on behalf of KTH to contribute to sustainable development within and outside the business.
- Conduct research of the highest quality that contributes sustainable and innovative solutions to societal challenges.
- Spread and support applications of new technology, methods and approaches and actively participate in the social debate in order to contribute to sustainable development.
- Collaborate with local, national and international partners who contribute to sustainable development, gender equality and reduced climate impact.
- Maintain good resource management and take measures in our operations to prevent negative environmental impact and contribute to sustainable development and a climate-neutral society.
- Constantly develop the internal management system with the aim of improving KTH's environmental and sustainability performance.
- In accordance with university-wide objectives and action plans, take concrete measures to improve KTH's contribution to sustainable development and a climate-neutral society.
- Ensure that legal and other binding requirements to which the business is subject are met.
Purpose of the policy
Policy for sustainable development for KTH aims to support and improve the sustainability work conducted at KTH. Like other policies for KTH (policy for ethics, policy for quality, policy for investments of donations, policy for staff and policy for security) this policy will be annually revised.
Definition of sustainable development
Based on the Brundtland Report (1987), the concept of "sustainable development" is defined as:
Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It contains within it two key concepts: the concept of 'needs', in particular the essential needs of the world's poor, to which overriding priority should be given; and the idea of limitations imposed by the state of technology and social organization on the environment's ability to meet present and future needs.
University Board Decision 2015-02-19. Valid as of February 19, 2015. Revised 16 June 2017. Revised May 2018. Revised 2021.