Advice for managers

Published Apr 08, 2020

The Corona pandemic has meant changing rules for travel, canceled flights and closed borders. Read more about what applies to employees and doctoral students who are stuck in another country, employees who have quit but cannot leave Sweden and new employees who cannot get here.

Employees stuck abroad

The point of departure is that work outside Sweden's borders can only be done in orderly form through, for example, URA agreements. It is central collective agreements in the area of ​​the state that regulate the work.

When it comes to the employees who are now in their home countries and work, KTH cannot, as a government agency, act as an employer there. Manager should therefore establish a dialogue with their respective employees who are now working outside Sweden as soon as possible. Employees need to be informed that they are not covered by the employer's insurance and may not be covered by the social security system at home or abroad. KTH will not pay for hospital care etc. in the home country / abroad. In other words, it is up to the employee to have their own insurance coverage. Employees also need to keep in mind that they may have problems with tax legislation since the salary is paid and taxed in Sweden.

How many people who may be affected by telework from another country at KTH is currently under investigation.

Employees who cannot leave Sweden

KTH Relocation / HR / GVS is working to try to extend housing contracts for those who cannot leave the country.

New employees who cannot get here

On March 17, the Swedish Government Office decided to temporarily prohibit unnecessary travel to Sweden from another country, with the exception of EEA countries and Switzerland. The ban began to apply on March 19 and was planned to last for 30 days. On April 3, however, this ban was extended until may 15. The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs also advises against unnecessary trips to all countries. The advice is valid until June 15, 2020, after which a new assessment will be made.

KTH's position is that new employees cannot start their work remotely. There will be problems with tax legislation and in addition, the insurance policies do not apply (PSA is linked to Swedish social insurance, which the employee is not covered by when working from home). It is also not possible to take out individual insurance and in some countries there is a high cost for social security contributions in the home country because the person cannot register in Sweden. In addition to this, the person also risks getting a large tax debt in the home country if KTH pay his or her salary. In essence, it is no difference whether it is a newly hired employee or someone who has gone home during an ongoing employment. Although employment contracts are already written remotely, this is not enough. If the employee cannot get to KTH, the employment will fall. Thus, people cannot start working remotely.

URA is not relevant. For example, you cannot be sent to your home country. URA assumes that a person is registered in Sweden. Longer business travel is not relevant. All business trips are stopped and no insurance is valid.

Scholarship-funded doctoral student who cannot reach KTH

It is not possible to start a scholarship from another country. This is because no insurance covers and no payments can be made abroad as these are large sums. Here, continuous contact with the fellow needs to be maintained to see a possible new starting date. If a scholarship decision is already in place, the date will be adjusted, no new decision is needed.

Childcare and closed schools

The manager needs to prepare so that there are backups. Regarding any compensation, KTH awaits the government's decision. We will see how such possible compensation is designed and whether it can be combined with salary for part of the day. Some employees will be able to arrange so that they can work outside regular office hours.

Page responsible:Sabina Fabrizi
Belongs to: CBH
Last changed: Apr 08, 2020