Skip to main content

Apply for funding to employ a doctoral student together with an international partner university

Published Jan 22, 2024

As a researcher at KTH, you now have the opportunity to apply for partial funding of SEK 500,000 per year during a four-year period to employ a doctoral student together with one of KTH's international partner universities.


The application was open from 1 February to 31 March 2024. A notification of allocated funds will be given in late May 2024. Applications will be prepared by a committee consisting of KTH's Vice President for Global Relations and three to four representatives from KTH's schools.

Next application round is during the first quarter of 2025.

KTH is implementing an initiative for at least six joint doctoral students to strengthen relations with certain partner universities. The funding is supported by central KTH funds of 500 000 SEK/year to employ a doctoral student. The applicant must make sure to have an equal amount (approx. 500 000 SEK/year), which has to be stated in the application. The funding can come from the school/department or from external funds.

The doctoral student should be employed during the academic year 2024/25 (latest by 30 June 2025).

Mobility is a requirement for the doctoral student, but there is no requirement for a degree at both universities. The doctoral student must spend at least one year in total at one of our partner universities, which can be divided into several shorter periods. The supervisor at the partner university must be stated in the application.

Collaborations with a partner university that also appoint a doctoral student to the project will be prioritized.

Universities involved in the pilot project are:

  • Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), China (Agreement for Joint PhD available)
  • Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
  • Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras), India
  • University of Tokyo (U Tokyo), Japan
  • Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore (Agreement for Joint PhD available)

For your application to be granted, the following is required:

  • Relevance to KTH's strategies for research and international cooperation
  • Excellence in collaboration
  • Potential for increased future research collaboration
  • That you are employed at KTH and have the right to be the main supervisor for doctoral students (full professor or docent)

Contact persons for the partner universities

Click to see contact persons at KTH for each partner university.

Interview with Vice President Stefan Östlund

Vice President Stefan Östlund.

Vice President Stefan Östlund

Stefan Östlund, Vice President for Global Relations at KTH, answers questions about the initiative.

What does this investment mean?

— This means that we build strong ties between researchers from KTH and the partner universities. Jointly supervising doctoral students increases collaboration and will lead to increased co-publication.

Who can apply?

— Any KTH researcher with the right to be the main supervisor for doctoral students.

What can the individual researcher or department get out of this?

— Increased international collaboration and opportunities to create new research projects with the partner university.

How does it all work in a purely practical way?

— You must first make initial contact with a suitable colleague at one of the partner universities. Many researchers already have these contacts as we previously had "seed-funding" programmes in several cases. If you agree, you write a project description and report how and in what way the collaboration benefits KTH. The application itself is made through the application form.

Did you find this page useful?
Thank you for helping us!
Page responsible:Linda Andersson
Belongs to: About KTH
Last changed: Jan 22, 2024