Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Pension and occupational pension

Your pension comes from several different sources: the Swedish Pensions Agency in the form of a national retirement pension, and from KTH and any other previous employers in the form of occupational pension. You may also have private pension savings. The different pensions do not affect each other. They are added together and will be your total pension. The pensions add up to form your total pension. In cases of sickness or death, disability pension and survivor’s pension may also become applicable.


You can withdraw the different pension parts in many different ways and often as a private person you must apply for how and when you want to withdraw your pension. You can start to withdraw the entire or parts of your pension from the age of 61.

If you have any questions about your retirement pension or before retiring, please contact the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV), which takes care of KTH’s pension administration.
Call 020-51 50 40 or e-mail .
You will then receive guidance before your retirement and help with your application. If you do not contact SPV yourself, you will automatically be contacted seven months before you turn 65.

Occupational pension

An occupational pension is a complement to the national retirement pension. There are three parts in KTH’s agreement: defined benefit retirement pension, complementary retirement pension (Kåpan Tjänste) and individual retirement pension. The amount of your defined benefit retirement pension depends on your salary, how many years you have been a state employee and your year of birth. Your complementary retirement pension and individual retirement pension are determined by your salary and the return of your pension. If you have any questions about your occupational pension, please contact the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV), which takes care of KTH’s pension administration. Call 020-51 50 40 or e-mail .

Occupational pension benefits

For state employees the entitlement to occupational pension is governed in the state occupational pension agreements PA-91 and PA-03. These are collective agreements concluded between the Swedish Agency for Government Employers (SAGE) and the trade union organisations of government employees. Occupational pension is handled by the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) and Kåpan Pensioner (Pensions for government employees, Kåpan).

An occupational pension benefit is either defined contribution or defined benefit and it is calculated in different ways. A defined contribution pension is based on the employer paying a defined contribution to the pension, usually a percentage of the employee’s salary. The size of the pension is based on how much money is deposited and the yield/return of the money. Therefore the lifelong income of the employee impacts the size of the upcoming pension. A defined benefit pension is determined by a certain amount in advance. It is a percentage of the pensionable base which consists of the employee’s average salary over the last five years before the employee turns 65. With the pension agreement PA-03, you move from a defined benefit pension system to a defined contribution pension system.

The retirement age is 65 and is reached at the end of the calendar month, before the month the employee turns 65. Employees have the right to keep their position at the most until the month they turn 67. If an employee chooses to remain in their position after they have turned 65, the retirement pension is still calculated as if the employee had retired at the ordinary pension age. There is also the possibility to start drawing occupational pension from the age of 61.

Disability pension

A state employee who suffers from a prolonged or permanent medical impairment of working capacity and who is granted activity compensation or sickness compensation by Försäkringskassan is normally entitled to a disability pension benefit from SPV. Disability pension benefits are defined benefit and accrue to the sickness or activity compensation which is paid by Försäkringskassan.

Survivor’s pension

If an employee with state employment or state pension passes away, close relatives may be entitled to survivor’s pension. Survivor’s pension is a defined benefit pension and is index-tied through connection to the price base amount.