Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Chemical Hazards in the Working Environment

The provision Chemical Hazards in the Working Environment (AFS 2011: 19) outlines regulations regarding work with chemicals. Listed below are some of the most important regulations that all managers must comply with.

Permits for A and B substances

Chemicals requiring permits are listed in the appendix of AFS 2011: 19 and sections 45 - 47 describe how to apply for a permit. The application must include the chemical for which the permit will apply, working method, purpose, time period, maximum quantity used, etc. A risk assessment must be attached to the permit application. Use of restricted chemicals without a valid permit can result in a penalty fee of 150,000 SEK and 400,000 SEK for B and A classified substances, respectively.

Risk assessment using KLARA

All risks related to chemical use must be investigated in a risk assessment. This assessment must be completed prior to beginning work with the chemical (§ 5). KLARA has a risk assessment module that provides an outline for risk assessment of work with chemicals.

Risk assessments can be completed digitally in KLARA and saved in a folder specific to your division. Contact the school's KLARA administrator or central KLARA administrator to obtain access to KLARA. The risk assessments must be signed by the employer and be available to the employees concerned.

Labelling requirements for chemical substances

Containers containing dangerous chemical products must be marked with the product's name, hazard pictogram and text in certain cases (carcinogenic, allergenic, mutagenic, or toxic for reproduction). New labels can be printed in KLARA if the label on the original container has become illegible.

Investigations are required for CMR chemicals

Chemicals that are carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction (Hazard statements: H350, H340 and H360, respectively) must be replaced with less harmful alternatives when possible. The potential for replacement must be officially investigated for all CMR chemicals. Please see CMR investigation  for more information.

Accidental exposure must be documented

The employer is required to keep records of accidental exposure to chemicals with the hazard signs H340 and H350. Under normal working conditions there should be no exposure, but if an accident or incident leading to accidental exposure occurs, the manager is responsible for reporting it and the report must be sent to
Leif Svanblom ( ).