Skip to main content

Export control

At KTH, much of the technological research can have dual use, for civil as well as for military purposes. Therefore it is vital that KTH ensures the management of issues related to export of controlled technology and knowledge, in accordance with current laws and regulations. No export controlled products, information, technical support or other services are exported to foreign countries without an investigation to clarify if special permits are required or not.

Typical products that can be restricted with export control are some chemicals, IR cameras and high tech manufacturing tools or machines.

Researchers who intend to bring a product or related technology to countries outside of Europe must ensure that the product is not listed in the EU annex I of the regulation 2019/2199 .

Contact Research Support Office for assistance in the classification of products / technology if a research project will be brought outside of EU, as well as other issues related to the transfer.

Some products must have special permits for transfers within EU. These are listed in the annex IV in the PDA regulation. The annex lists products such as stealth technology, explosives, hydrophones, missile technology, cryptography, some chemicals and nuclear technology.

There is also a so called ”Catch all”-regulation that stipulates that if there is reason to believe that a product or technology will be used as a weapon of mass destruction, it is liable for export control, even if it is not listed.

In Sweden, the Inspectorate for Strategic Products (ISP) is the independant Swedish Administrative Authority that handles export applications, except for nuclear material products ( category o), which is handled by Swedish Radiation Safety Authority (SSM).

In most cases, export is allowed if no special reasons apply. Occasionally, there are sanctions towards a specific country, company or persons which can result in further collaboration restrictions. Contact Research Support Office if you are uncertain of what applies in your research collaboration project.

In case it is difficult to determine the classification of a product or for advice on sanctions, please contact ISP for consultation.

Questions can be sent to