Extract the mail header in Outlook
To be able to trace an e-mail the e-mail heades must be shown. The instruction below shows how to extract the mail header in Outlook in Windows.
If you recieve some suspicious e-mail and want to report it to the email group or to the security department the unwanted e-mail must always be attached.
But there may be other situations where you should attach just the e-mail header, when it comes to troubleshooting, for example, for delayed emails.
Extract e-mail header in Outlook
- Start Outlook and double-click on the suspicious e-mail so that it opens in a window of its own
- Open the email on the Message Ribbon and click on File and click on Info and click onProperties
- When next dialog box opens, select and copy all the text in Internet headers
- Paste the text in the e-mail you intend to report and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Extract source code
- Open the email on the Message Ribbon and click on Actions and then to Other Actions and click on View Source
- It invokes Notepad and shows the full html source
- Save the created text file and attache it to the email. Send it to email@example.com .