Guideline on course memo
The examiner is responsible for establishing the course memo and for making the course memo available to the students at About course, at the latest at the start of the course. About course is KTH's official place for course information.
Summary of chapter 4 about course memo in the guideline
"Guideline on course syllabus, grading system and examination at education on all cycles"
- that the examiner is responsible for establishing the course memo and for making the course memo available to the students at the latest at the start of the course.
- which information a course memo must contain
- that the system support for course memo is is recommended
Below you can read about what is written about course memo in chapter 4 in the guideline.
From the governance document
Extract: "Guideline on course syllabus, grading system and examination at education on all cycles"
4. Course memo
For each course (course offering), a course memo containing supplementary information to the course syllabus (section 1.1.1 regulates the course syllabus) must be available to the students. The examiner is responsible for establishing the course memo and for making the course memo available to the students in the course and programme directory on KTH's website at the latest at the start of the course. The system support available for course information in the course and programme directory should be used to create the course memo.
The following information must be included:
- Names and contact information for the course coordinator, examiner and other teachers participating in the course.
- Information about course literature and other study material. • Information about support for students with disabilities.
- For which course offering the course memo applies.
- Date when the course memo has been established.
- Grading criteria (for courses with a three- or seven-grade grading system), see section 2.4.
- On which occasion the learning outcomes are examined, and how the result affects the final grade.
- Information about submission time and time for examination, if not provided by the schedule for the course.
- Which aids are permitted during the examination and whether collaboration is allowed or not, and other information that is important for the examination, for example, reference to the course's code of honor or ethical approach.
- Information that the student is obliged to read and follow the instructions given about what applies during the examination, and that it may lead to disciplinary sanctions in the form of a warning or suspension if the student does not follow the instructions.
- Possible consequences of a late submission (to be regulated in the course syllabus in accordance with 1.1.1 or in the grading criteria as set out in 2.4). For written examination possible consequences are regulated by instruction regarding examination rules at KTH (V-2018-0203).
- In the case of continuous examination the student must be informed about (1) which assignments and/or occasions that are included in the continuous examination and (2) how the weighting of the student's performances at the different examinations is done. 12 (21)
- Whether complementary examination in order to achieve a passing grade is possible, and in that case whether the examiner will contact the student, or vice versa, to initiate the complementary examination, see section 6.6.
- Whether it is possible to raise a passing grade via renewed examination and, in that case, how the student registers, see section 7.1.
- Other information that may be required.
4.1.1 Changes of the course memo during the course
- Course memo should not be changed while the course is in progress. If a change needs to be made, each changed paragraph or section must be marked with a date, for example, "(changed from DD MM YYYY)". Students must be informed immediately that a change has been made.
- Typos can be corrected without marking and students do not need to be informed about the correction
Get local support from your school to publish course memos
If you, as an examiner, course coordinator or teacher, want help from the local support at your school with publishing your course memo, you will find contact details on
Support for About course