Skip to main content

Importing goods to Sweden from countries outside the EU

The term "import" means bringing goods into the European Union (EU) from a country outside the EU. All goods that you bring from a country outside the EU are counted as imports whether it is a purchase, gifts or sending scientific samples. You must apply for an import permit yourself via the Swedish Customs.

This is what you need to do before the goods are sent to you:

  • You must apply for an authorisation for duty-free import for each item that is imported, this permit is valid for 6 month.

  • It is important that you apply well in advance of the importation because the permit must be present when the item is declared for import.

How to apply for a authorisation

The head of the departement should apply for authorisation on a specific form, Application for authorisation for duty-free import of educational, scientific and cultural materials and scientific instruments and apparatus .

For more information, see Tullverket's webpage  or phone: 0771-520 520