Skip to main content

Course information for doctoral students

School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)

On this page

How to find planned courses​

Alternative 1: Search course

  • You can extract all doctoral courses at the school using the search filter Choose from other search criteria. Tick the checkbox Third cycle and then choose  All within Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in the dropdown menu
  • You can also search for courses that will be offered in the coming year using the same search filter

Alternative 2: Courses by school

Information about compulsory courses is found on each doctoral programme's own web page . Note that the course fees for the two courses FAK3127 The Sustainable Scientist 2.0 credits  and FDS3103 Introduction to Scientific Writing 2.0 credits  are covered by the school. This means that all doctoral students within EECS may sign up for these courses, even though they are designed for and mandatory within the doctoral programme Electrical Engineering .

Information about general skills courses can be found on the web page General skills courses .

Course grades will be visible on the degree certificate.

Third-cycle courses

Admission and registration

Ensure approval from your principal supervisor and permission from the course examiner before participating in a doctoral course.

If the teacher approves that you participate in the course, you will be admitted and registered when the teacher submits to us a list of students taking the course. As an alternative, if you already have written approval, you may forward it to us , and we will admit you to the course.

Special permission for doctoral students from other universities

If you are a doctoral student from another university, you need special permission before starting a doctoral course at KTH. How to apply for special permission is stated below.

KTH has raised the security level for IT account activations. To start a course, after receiving the special permission, you need a KTH account  which can be activated with Swedish Mobile BankID or by visiting KTH’s campus. If you do not have Swedish Mobile BankID or are not able to visit campus, you cannot start the course.

  1. Contact the course responsible to ascertain that the course is given, and that you may join the class.
  2. Submit the following documents to :
  3. Await confirmation on admission and registration from Doctoral Education Support and follow the instructions in the email on how to check out your new KTH account.
  4. If you have not gained access to the course in Canvas despite being registered on the course in Ladok, please contact .

Exam registration

If the doctoral course requires registration for an exam, you do so during the registration period  via the "personal menu".

Suppose the exam belongs to a second-cycle course given in parallel with the doctoral course. In that case, you might be unable to register for the exam via the "personal menu". If so, you must complete the web form Exam/ Reexam/ Partial exams  at least two weeks before the exam period starts.

Those who have forgotten to register in time can find more information about written exams here .

Registration of grades

After completing the course, the examiner contacts the Doctoral Education Support to register the passed grade in the student registry. Shortly afterwards, the grade will appear in the doctoral student's Ladok.

Discontinuation and re-registration

Doctoral students can discontinue a doctoral course at any time during the course duration. If they receive approval from the course's examiner or teacher, they can also apply for re-registration to resume the course later, subject to availability. Doctoral students discontinue the course through Ladok and can contact Doctoral Education Support for help with re-registration.

First/second-cycle courses

Admission and registration

  1. The course must be stated as a planned course in your latest established ISP. If it is not added there yet, please revise your ISP.
  2. Ensure approval from the course examiner that you may take the course.
  3. Fill out the web form Application for first or second cycle course for doctoral students at EECS .
  4. After receiving confirmation about course admission via email, you need to register for the course via your “personal menu” during the web registration period.
  5. If you have not gained access to the course in Canvas despite being registered on the course in Ladok, please contact .

  6. Once the course has finished and been reported in Ladok, contact  and request that the course be transferred to your doctoral programme. Otherwise, you cannot include the course when you apply for a degree certificate.

Limitations for doctoral students from other universities

Doctoral students from other universities may attend first and second-cycle level courses at KTH under either of the following two conditions:

  1. The course is listed on , and they apply for admission there (read about "Freestanding courses at KTH") or
  2. They are willing to pay the course fee, equivalent to the cost of "contract education" (uppdragsutbildning) for courses not available on . KTH can only enter a contract education agreement with a company or university on behalf of their employee or student, not directly with an individual. Contact  for more information.

Some teachers offer corresponding doctoral courses with a simplified application process than the one explained above. If interested, inquire with the examiner/teacher about the availability of such a course. Find the simplified application process for doctoral courses in the box labelled "Special permission for doctoral students from other universities" found above.

Exam registration

You register for the exam via your “personal menu” during registration period . Those who have forgotten to register in time can find more information about written exams here .

Transferring course credits

Submit the following documents to :

  • Course certificate or transcript
  • Course syllabus or equivalent

Courses that have not been included in a completed degree programme that started prior to admission to doctoral studies and were not part of fulfilling admission criteria to doctoral studies are eligible for credit transfer. Such applications for credit transfer should be submitted within the first six months after admission to doctoral studies.

Credit transfers of first and second-cycle courses are subject to the constraints formulated in KTH's Guideline on Third-Cycle Studies  and the third-cycle subject's general study syllabus .

Summer schools and other non-university courses

For summer schools and other non-university courses, a doctoral student can be credited up to 2 ECTS credits per week based on supporting evidence that allows assessing the actual workload (1 ECTS credit equals on average between 25 and 30 study hours).

Conferences and workshops

Conferences and workshops are counted as ordinary research work and can therefore not be transferred.

Language courses in Swedish

Non-Swedish speaking employees at KTH are strongly encouraged to learn Swedish. KTH offer several courses tailored to different levels. See the web page Swedish courses for international students . The doctoral student's division will cover the fee for the course. For practical details, such as an invoice reference (link in Swedish) , please contact your supervisor.

Attending lectures without intending to take the course

Doctoral students at KTH are allowed to "observe" courses without intending to take the course or get credits for it, as long as examiner approves it.