Course information for doctoral students

School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)

How to find planned courses​

Alternative 1: Search course

  • You can extract all doctoral courses at the school using the search filter Choose from other search criteria. Tick the checkbox Third cycle and then choose  All within Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in the dropdown menu
  • You can also search for courses that will be offered the coming year using the same search filter

Alternative 2: Courses by school

Information about compulsory courses are found on each doctoral programme's own web page . Note that the course fees for the two courses FAK3127 The Sustainable Scientist 2.0 credits  and FDS3103 Introduction to Scientific Writing 2.0 credits  are covered by the school. This means that all doctoral students within EECS may sign up for these courses, even though they are designed for and mandatory within the doctoral programme Electrical Engineering .

Admission and registration to a third cycle course at KTH

The teacher of the course will submit a list of course participants to Doctoral Education Support. If you are participating in the course, you will be admitted and registered when the teacher submits the list. The list is sometimes submitted at the beginning of the course, sometimes at the end.

Registering for a second cycle course's exam which is included in a third cycle course

At least two weeks before the exam period starts, fill in the form Exam/ Reexam/ Partial exams  and in the comment section give the following information:

  • You are a doctoral student
  • You are registered to the doctoral course [course code]
  • You want to register for the master course's exam (with the course code entered in the web form)
  • You therefore cannot register via the "personal meny"
  • Request email confirmation

Doctoral students from other universities taking a third cycle course at KTH

  1. Contact the course responsible to ascertain that the course is given, and that you may join the class.
  2. Submit to the Doctoral Education Support, Malvinas väg 10 (for those at KTH Campus) or Kistagången 16 (for those at KTH Kista):
  3. If you need access to Canvas, contact .

Registering for a first or second cycle course at KTH

  1. The course must be stated as a planned course in your latest established ISP. If it is not added there yet, please revise your ISP.
  2. Fill out the web form Application for first or second cycle course for doctoral students at EECS .
  3. After receiving confirmation about course admission via email, you need to register for the course via your “personal menu” during the web registration period.
  4. Once the course has finished and been reported in Ladok, contact  and request that the course be transferred to your doctoral programme. Otherwise, you will not be able to include the course when you apply for a degree certificate.

Registering for a first or second cycle course's exam

  1. Registration to exams is handled via your “personal menu” during the registration period .
  2. If you forget to register to the exam please read the information here .

Transfering course credits

Fill out of the following forms and submit them to Doctoral Education Support, Malvinas väg 10 (for those at KTH Campus ) or Kistagången 16 (for those at KTH Kista ):

School policy on summer course credits

For summer schools, and similar courses, where it is clearly stated how many ECTS credits the event corresponds to, this number of credits can be transferred. Otherwise, a doctoral student will be credited 4 ECTS credits per week if the course contains non-trivial assignments and/or an examination. In all other cases 2 ECTS credits per week will be transferred.