Embed video into your Canvas course
An embedded video is played directly in Canvas instead of sending the viewer to the video source, e.g. KTH Play. A KTH-produced video is recommended to be uploaded to KTH Play first, but it is also possible to upload videos to KTH Play while embedding the video in Canvas. Another type of embedding is required to include the Transcript Widget, to embed video in New Quizzes, or to embed videos from external Web sites. This guide goes through the different scenarios.
Video embedded through the editing mode
Note! This method does not work for New Quizzes or with the Transcript Widget. Go to the guide further down instead.
If the video is uploaded to KTH Play
- Go to edit mode where you want to insert the video.
- Click the button for apps. If this is the first time you use the button, a pop-up will open with the different apps you can choose from. If you have used the button before, a drop-down menu opens with the apps previously used, and the "View All" option takes you to the pop-up with all the apps. You may see the old button, called "Ω (do not use) Embed Kaltura Media" in your list. It no longer works. Select "Embed Kaltura Media" instead, no matter where you find it.
- The videos you have saved in KTH Play will be displayed in a pop-up. If you have a video in your Media Gallery ( How do I use Media Gallery? ), you can click on the "Media Galleries" tab and choose which course you want to get the video from.
- Select the video you want to upload by clicking the down arrow on the "Select" button. This allows you to choose between the sizes Large, Medium or Small. Large is 608x402 pixels, Medium is 400x285 and Small is 304x231. Or you can click "Select" to embed it as a medium size immediately.
Note! You can embed media other than a video this way, but it will still be embedded in a Kaltura player, even if it's just an image.
If the video is on your computer
If the video you want to embed is not already on KTH Play, you can click "Add New" and then "Media upload" to upload a video from your computer to KTH Play and embed it on your course page at the same time. The video you upload is not added to your Media Gallery this way though. Adding it to the Media Gallery can only be done from the Media Gallery page.
To read more information on uploading a video to KTH play, see the page Publish video .
Note! If you click "Save and embed" after uploading the file, it will be embedded in medium size. Click "Save" and go back to the previous page if you want another size.
Transcript Widget, New Quizzes and External Websites
New Quizzes is currently the only site in Canvas that does not use the Rich Content Editor; therefore, there is no button called "Embed Kaltura Media". Instead, you need to embed your video with an embed code, which also works for videos from external websites or when you want to use the Transcript Widget.
Read more about Transcript Widget in KTH Play .
Find the embed code on external web pages
KTH cannot provide a complete guide for external websites, but most external websites, such as Youtube, have a "share" button on the video player. A link to the page is usually displayed, but there is usually an "embed" button that gives you access to the embed code.
Find the embed code in KTH Play
- Open your video in KTH Play.
- Go to the "Share" tab below your selected video and click "Embed" instead of "Link to Media Page".
- The highlighted code is your embed code. Just below the code are some video options: start time, end time and player size. Select what you want and then copy the entire code. If you want to use the Transcript Widget, be sure to select settings according to the previously linked guide.
Paste the embed code in Canvas
Once you have found and copied the embed code, you will need to paste it in the correct place.
- Go to where you want to embed the video in Canvas, for example a quiz.
- Click "edit" and move the mouse pointer to where you want the video.
- For a New Quiz, click on the "Insert/edit media" button. Everywhere else in Canvas, click on the "Embed" button found in the toolbar or via "Insert" in the menu. A pop-up will open.
- Paste your embed code in the large blank box. For New Quizzes, you must go to the "Embed" tab to find that box.
- Click "ok".