To choose a camera
It is possible to use different types of cameras when recording in a place other than rooms with permanently fixed equipment. You can, for example, use a standard video camera, webcam or your smartphone.
Record with a video camera
An ordinary digital video camera usually has more settings for the image than a webcam and smartphone. Keep in mind that you need a tripod to get a steady image with your video camera. Make sure the video signal from the video camera is sent to the video recording software.
Record with a webcam
Webcam is suitable, for example, for Zoom lectures from your home. Webcams can vary considerably in quality. An external webcam can be mounted on a tripod and used as a standard video camera, for example when filming your lecture at home.
The recommended webcams for purchasing can be found on the page Webcams for Zoom och hybrid rooms .
Record a video with a smartphone
The video camera function in a smartphone generally provides better quality than recording with a webcam. If you're not used to handling the settings in a video camera, we recommend that you use the default settings in your smartphone.
If you want more functions, and perhaps more creative options and are used to working with video and photography, there are multiple editing apps - both free of charge and for purchasing.
Make sure that your smartphone can be connected to the services or platforms where you want to publish and edit your videos, for example, you need the Zoom-app to connect your smartphone to Zoom. The video is editing once you have moved the file to a computer.
To keep in mind when recording
- Use the back camera on your phone, not the frontside “selfie” camera - it has better resolution and quality.
- Mount your smartphone so you can shoot in landscape format (16:9 widescreen).
- If you can, use a mobile phone holder or stand, like a Gorilla pod.
- Avoid using the automatic zoom function, since it will disturb both the audio recording and the image quality. You can move the smartphone closer instead, until you have a good, sharp image.
- If you want to record while you are taking notes, drawing or sketching on a whiteboard or a paper, a smartphone comes in handy.
You can combine recording with a smartphone with a live broadcast in, for example, Zoom by using two cameras simultaneously (Zoom and the smartphone camera). In this way you can show what you are writing or drawing on a white paper in real time. For this you need the Zoom app on your smartphone.
Read more about how to Write by hand in Zoom or Video .