School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)
Third-cycle education at EECS
Step 1: Recruitment
Follow the instructions found on the web page for recruitment of doctoral students .
Step 2: Admission
When the recruitment process is finalized and a candidate has been selected, the principal supervisor starts the admission process by submitting the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org . Incomplete applications may delay the processing time:
☐ One of the following two forms, signed by the prospective doctoral student:
- Degree of Doctor: Application for doctoral studies (third cycle studies) , or
- Degree of Licentiate (rare): Application for licentiate studies (third cycle studies)
☐ Copies of documents proving that the applicant meets the general entry requirements and the specific entry requirements , which are specified in the general syllabus for each third-cycle subject :
- A copy of the master's degree certificate with its accompanying official transcript of records, or
- A copy of an official transcript of records proving that the applicant has fulfilled course requirements corresponding to at least 240 ECTS credits (300 for the subject Electrical Engineering), of which a minimum of 60 ECTS credits (120 for the subject Electrical and Systems Engineering) are at the advanced level (master's/second cycle)
☐ Other documents depending on type of funding:
- If employed by KTH (doctoral studentship): No additional documents are usually needed. HR will send us the web forms called initiation letter and motivation letter, which the intended principal supervisor must have already submitted during the recruitment process (see Step 1)
- If employed by the industry (industrial doctoral student): A copy of the signed industrial doctoral student agreement. The intended principal supervisor must have initiated this document in connection with the recruitment process since this process usually takes time (see Step 1)
- If funded by a scholarship or if it concerns collaborations between universities: Contact us for more information
☐ Within one month after starting the studies (the studies can be started later than the date of admission), the principal supervisor must create and establish an ISP for the doctoral student.
☐ If the doctoral student will have an assistant supervisor not employed at KTH, the principal supervisor also needs to fill out this web form: Application for eISP user account for supervisors .
Step 3: Employment (if employed at KTH)
HR will contact the principal supervisor to set up an employment contract. For more information, contact HR at your devision .
Step 4: Practical arrangements
The Service Center will contact the principal supervisor to have the practical arrangements sorted out, such as access card, key, office space etc. For more information, contact email@example.com .
Guest doctoral students
For guest doctoral students visiting KTH (no admission and no degree from KTH), the hosting faculty member should contact the Service Center well in advance, using this form: Guest Form - for all guests/visitors to KTH EECS .
In connection with this, guest doctoral students may apply for special permission to take doctoral courses at KTH by following the steps in the gray box Special permission for doctoral students from other universities on the linked web page.
Order of decisions related to the admission process (in Swedish)