This page contains information on how to apply for admission to third-cycle education at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS).
Important to know
Doctoral students who live outside Sweden or need a Swedish visa will not be able to retrieve their KTH account and start their studies until they arrive in Sweden.
How to apply
The admission process involves several functions within the university administration, depending on the doctoral student's type of funding and how far the application has reached. Feel free to contact us with questions on planned or ongoing applications.
Step 1: Recruitment and selection
Follow the instructions found on one of the following pages based on how the doctoral student will be funded:
Step 2: Admission
When the recruitment process is finalized and a candidate has been selected, the principal supervisor starts the admission process by submitting the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org . Incomplete applications may delay the processing time:
☐ One of the following two forms, signed by the prospective doctoral student:
- Degree of Doctor: Application for doctoral studies (third-cycle studies) , or
- Degree of Licentiate: Application for licentiate studies (third-cycle studies) (rare)
☐ Copies of documents proving that the applicant meets the general entry requirements and the specific entry requirements , which are specified in the general syllabus for each third-cycle subject :
- A copy of the master's degree certificate with its accompanying official transcript of records, or
- A copy of an official transcript of records proving that the applicant has fulfilled course requirements corresponding to at least 240 ECTS credits, of which a minimum of 60 ECTS credits (120 for the subject Electrical Engineering) are at the advanced level (master's/second-cycle)
☐ Other documents depending on type of funding:
- Employed by KTH (doctoral studentship): HR will send us the initiation letterand the motivation letter, which the intended principal supervisor should already have submitted as web forms during the recruitment process (see Step 1)
- Employed by the industry (industrial doctoral student): The contract administrator will send us a copy of the signed industrial doctoral student agreementand the motivation letter (industrial doctoral student), which the intended principal supervisor should already have established prior to admission (see Step 1)
- Funded by a scholarship or collaboration agreements: Contact us for more information
Step 3: Employment (applicable if employed at KTH)
HR will contact the principal supervisor to set up an employment contract. For more information, contact HR at your devision .
Step 4: Practical arrangements
Service Center will contact the principal supervisor to make the practical arrangements, such as access card, key, office space etc. For more information, contact email@example.com .
Guest doctoral students
For guest doctoral students visiting KTH (no admission or degree from KTH) the hosting faculty member should contact the Service Center well in advance, using the web form Guest Form - for all guests/visitors to KTH EECS .
Guest doctoral students may apply for special permission to take doctoral courses at KTH by following the steps in the gray box Special permission for doctoral students from other universities on the linked page.
Find links to regulations and forms on the page Links and resources .